Week in Review: Fatal Car Crash, Allen and Kaine Spar in McLean
A look back at the top stories in McLean from Sept. 17 to 21
In case you weren't checking into McLean Patch every day (and if you didn't, you should start by signing up for our daily email newsletter), here is a round-up of what happened around the neighborhood this week.
- "Fairfax County Beats Statewide SOL Grades" More rigorous math assessments contribute to widened achievement gaps in Fairfax County
- "McLean Crime Blotter: Sept. 6-12" One burglary and several larcencies were reported in McLean during this time period.
- "Ask the Candidates: Tim Kaine and George Allen" Patch is collecting reader questions to be answered by candidates in Virginia's U.S. Senate race.
- "Alma and Colin Powell Blog About Education" Colin Powell may be best known for his expertise as Secretary of State and as a four-star Army general, but he and his wife Alma are equally passionate about education.
- "Police Respond to Fatal Crash on Lewinsville Road" One person died after a single-vehicle car crash Tuesday near the intersection of Swinks Mill and Lewinsville Roads in McLean.
- "Allen Has Small Fundraising Lead in McLean" Democratic candidate Tim Kaine raised about $17,000 less than Republican George Allen in the most recent filing period.
- "Details About Fatal Lewinsville Road Crash Released" An adult woman was killed in the accident, but police did not release her identity on Wednesday.
- "McLean Restaurant Inspections: Starbucks, Five Guys" Two out of three restaurants in this week's round-up had zero critical violations.
- "Photos: Tim Kaine and George Allen Debate in Tysons Corner" Take any photos at the event? Add them to this gallery!
- "County Faces $3 Billion Transportation Gap" Over next decade, Fairfax County has $8.1 billion in needs, expects $5.1 billion in revenue.
- "Poll: Hearts and Darts from the Kaine-Allen Debate" Did your candidate win? Could he have handled himself better?
- "Defense Cuts, Washington Gridlock Focal Points of Kaine-Allen Debate"
- "Victim Identified in Fatal McLean Car Crash" Cheri Cusumano lost control of her minivan and hit a tree Tuesday on Lewinsville Road.
- "McLean and Langley Take On Madison and Marshall" The McLean area varsity football teams faced off against the Vienna area teams on Friday night.
- "Weekend Planner: Madonna, Clarendon Day and More." How are you going to spend it?
- "Board Creates 40-Member Discipline Committee." Fairfax County School Board will charge group with reviewing policies, handbook.
- "Giant Food Teams Up With Coinstar" The local retailer will now offer gift cards to those who use their Coinstar kiosks.
- "Autumn Equinox in McLean on Saturday" So long, Summer 2012.
- "Save 'Nemo' From the Zombies"
- "New Movie Theater — With Its Own 'Top Chef' — Opens in Fairfax"
- "Best Blogs: Natural Gas, Finding the Fountain of Youth and More"
- "House Hunt: Multimillion Dollar Open Houses"