There are a lot of us (or at those above the age of 8) who agree it truly is better to give than to receive during the holiday season.
In that spirit, there are several local nonprofit organizations in McLean that deserve your attention and donations this year. Click on the name of the organization to find out how you can help.
The list is far from complete. If you'd like to share the name of a charity that needs attention this December, leave a comment below.
- McLean Little League: "The mission of McLean Little League is to implant firmly in the children of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage and respect for authority, so that they may be well adjusted, stronger and happier children and will grow to be good, decent, healthy and trustworthy citizens."
- American Legion Post 270: "The American Legion Post 270 of McLean distributes funds to promote activities such as those involving support to: Veterans (Affairs and Rehabilitation, VA Hospital equipment and services, Emergency Financial Assistance, Benefits Guidance, Vinson Hall events); National Security (Troop Support, Comforting Warriors, and Transition Assistance); Americanism (Boys and Girls State/Nation attendees, Boy Scouts, Oratorical Competition), and Youth; (Child Welfare Foundation, Family Support Networks, McLean Youth Orchestra, and Temporary Financial Assistance)."
- McLean Project for the Arts: "The mission of McLean Project for the Arts is to exhibit the work of emerging and established artists from the Mid-Atlantic region; to promote public awareness and understanding of the concepts of contemporary art; and to offer instruction and education in the visual arts."
- Falls Church-McLean Children's Center: "We believe all children have the right to participate in a quality early childhood education program with developmentally appropriate activities, in the least restrictive environment possible; we strive to provide the necessary support for the individual child, his or her parents, and the staff. The Falls Church–McLean Children’s Center uses innovative teaching methods to help 70 children ages two to five years old grow and develop alongside peers from many countries representing a variety of ethnicities."
- Doorways for Woman and Families: "To envision a community where all people live free of violence and have safe and stable housing. We see a future without homelessness or domestic violence. And it’s why we offer safe shelter and housing, life-changing support services, and community advocacy."
Check out some of these other charities in Fairfax County.
Would you like all the local McLean news delivered to your inbox every morning in one convenient email? (Think of it as the digital version of a daily newspaper). Sign up for the McLean Patch newsletter here. It's free and easy.