1. Oktoberfest Bazaar and Craft Fair
- When/Where: The bazaar and craft fair runs from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Charles Wesley United Methodist Church, 6817 Dean Dr., McLean.
- Why Go: You can expect handcrafted jewelry, silk floral arrangements, Baked Goods, and loads of crafts. And what's Oktoberfest with hearty German fare? Lunch will be served between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and will include bratwurst, sauerkraut, german potato salad, hot dogs, soft pretzels and more. Come hungry.
- Pricing: Free to attend. Food and crafts prices vary.
- When/Where: The sale starts at 9 a.m. Saturday at 1616 Walden Dr., McLean
- Why Go: Want a signed photo of Joe Namath or Bear Bryant? How about a 1950s Dr. Pepper cooler in excellent condition? A snowboard? African statuettes? An "eclectic mix of jewelry and gemstones"? They've got all this and more at this McLean estate sale this weekend. Oh, and the house is up for sale, too.
- Pricing: Free to attend. Item prices vary.
3. Colonial Autumn Market Fair
- When/Where: The fair runs from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Claude Moore Colonial Farm, 6310 Georgetown Pike, McLean.
- Why Go: "Enjoy fresh air and fun at local colonial museum and working farm’s Autumn Market Fair. Dance and sing to period music. Try hand’s on crafts such as spinning and dyeing. Turn a piece of wood on carpenter’s lathe or watch the Blacksmith in action. Test your watercolor and writing skills with the Stationer. Play quoits and other games, or watch a children’s puppet theater. See chickens, turkeys, pigs and other farm animals. Stroll grounds and farmhouse, and see Farm family and community members in character and costume. Purchase spit roasted chicken, crisp apples, savory and fruit pies, hearty breads and more. Colonial tavern offers fresh lemonade and ginger ale, mulled wine plus variety of lager, beer and ale."
- Pricing: Admission is $6 for adults and $3 for children. Children under 3 are admitted for free.
4. "Care for Kids" Shopping Sale
- When/Where: Hundreds of area stores are participating in the fundraiser, including more than 20 in McLean. The sale starts Oct. 19 and runs though Oct. 28.
- Why Go: Get your holiday shopping kickstarted and help out a worthy local cause at the same time. A full list of participating merchants is available online.
- Pricing: A $50 "Care for Kids" discount card will get you 20 percent off full-priced items at hundreds of stores in the D.C. area. All proceeds from the sale of the discount cards will be donated to the Children's National Medical Center.
5. Great Falls Studios Ninth Annual Studio Tour
- When/Where: The studio tours run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and various locations throughout Great Falls.
- Why Go: "The tour is a family-friendly, free self-guided driving tour to meet 49 artists in their home studios or in group venues in Great Falls...Enjoy fall colors as you drive from venue to venue. Free maps available at any venue and roadside directional signs will help you find your way." Visit the Great Falls Studios website for more information.
- Pricing: Free!
What are you weekend plans? If you care to share, please do. Maybe we'll see you there.