Did you miss some of the blogs this week on McLean Patch? Each week, we'll round them up in one convenient place for you.
And while we have your attention, are you interested in blogging for Patch? Are you an expert in your field? Are you passionate about your hobby? Our readers are interested in everything from national security to needlepoint. Apply online now.
Here are the highlights from blogs that ran this past week.
Who Are the 'Light Year Kids'? And Why Fairfax County Must 'Stop and Think'
- This was a controversial inaugural blog post this week written by Asra Q. Nomani about the proposed expansion of the Fairfax County Public School's Advanced Academic Programs.
- "Fairfax County Public Schools doesn't have a clear plan in place, related to critical elements of establishing new, high-level Advanced Academic Programs centers, including issues of facilities and teacher instruction."
- Readers responded with 35 comments - on both sides of the issue.
- Read the full post and join the conversation here.
Introducing Minnie Gallman of the McLean Photo Club
- McLean Photography Club member "Minnie Gallman is happy with a camera at hand. And one is there almost all the time."
- "From the Brownie to the Instamatic to her Nikon D300 to the iPhone, Minnie’s cameras have kept up with the times."
- "Minnie’s purpose in all her photography is to make the ordinary extraordinary. 'There’s no doubt that that ‘wow factor’ is hard to come by. But every now and then you get those,' she says. 'I love nature and how it surprises you. But there are lots of [other] things out there to take pictures of."
- Read the full post and check out Gallman's photography here.
- Ivy Main, McLean resident and a Sierra Club officer, writes, "In our last column, we looked at Virginia’s renewable energy standard, trying to grab hold of its 15% goal as it shrank three sizes in the greenwash."
- "At the end of that discussion, you may have consoled yourself with the thought that 10% or 5% or 3% is, at least, better than nothing. Besides which, the law is only voluntary, so how much harm can it do?"
- Read the full post here.
Would you like all the local McLean news delivered to your inbox every morning in one convenient email? (Think of it as the digital version of a daily newspaper). Sign up for the McLean Patch newsletter here. It's free and easy.