In case you weren't checking into McLean Patch every day (and if you didn't, you should start by signing up for our daily email newsletter), here is a round-up of what happened around the neighborhood this week.
- "VA Governor Orders School Safety Review" In wake of Newtown shooting, Gov. Bob McDonnell wants to look at all resources to keep campuses from kindergarten through college safe.
- "" A 7-year-old channeled her grief into a letter for children in Newtown, Conn. Her father came up with a way to share it with the world.
- "" The following arrest information was supplied by the Fairfax County Police Department. It does not indicate a conviction.
- "Fairfax 'Butt Slasher' in Custody in Northern Virginia" U.S. Marshals Service brought suspect Johnny Pimentel into custody from Peru, where he was arrested in January, police said.
- "Cox Communications Email Outage Affects NOVA" Company would not disclose how many customers were unable to receive incoming email over the weekend, but it included those from up and down the East Coast.
- "Committee Considers Changes to Gannett Campus" McLean Planning and Zoning is reviewing an application from Gannett that would allow the company to lease out some of its office space in Tysons Corner.
- "Tysons Tax: A Bitter But Necessary Pill" Resident says since state "all but abandoned us to find our own source of funds," tax in Tysons is necessary — but with it should come with more input from the people who live there.
- "Moran Introduces 'NRA Members' Gun Safety Act'" Northern Virginia Democrat cites Republican polls of NRA members that show support for five measures.
- "The Ashby Proposes High Density Renovation in Downtown McLean" The developer envisions four new buildings on the same site where the apartment building is currently located on Beverly Drive.
- "" In this column, Patch publishes the latest round of McLean restaurant reports.
- "Profile of Next Fairfax Superintendent Takes Shape" Superintendent search firm compiles thousands of community responses to online survey about the system's next leader.
- "Letter to the Editor: What Makes an Adam Lanza?" This essay was submitted to McLean Patch by Anne Speckhard, a McLean resident and an adjunct associate professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical School.