In case you weren't checking into McLean Patch every day (and if you didn't, you should start by signing up for our daily email newsletter), here is a round-up of what happened around the neighborhood this week.
- "Fairfax County Beats Statewide SOL Grades" More rigorous math assessments contribute to widened achievement gaps in Fairfax County
- "McLean Crime Blotter: Sept. 6-12" One burglary and several larcencies were reported in McLean during this time period.
- "Ask the Candidates: Tim Kaine and George Allen" Patch is collecting reader questions to be answered by candidates in Virginia's U.S. Senate race.
- "Alma and Colin Powell Blog About Education" Colin Powell may be best known for his expertise as Secretary of State and as a four-star Army general, but he and his wife Alma are equally passionate about education.
- "Police Respond to Fatal Crash on Lewinsville Road" One person died after a single-vehicle car crash Tuesday near the intersection of Swinks Mill and Lewinsville Roads in McLean.
- "Allen Has Small Fundraising Lead in McLean" Democratic candidate Tim Kaine raised about $17,000 less than Republican George Allen in the most recent filing period.
- "Details About Fatal Lewinsville Road Crash Released" An adult woman was killed in the accident, but police did not release her identity on Wednesday.
- "" Two out of three restaurants in this week's round-up had zero critical violations.
- "Photos: Tim Kaine and George Allen Debate in Tysons Corner" Take any photos at the event? Add them to this gallery!
- "County Faces $3 Billion Transportation Gap" Over next decade, Fairfax County has $8.1 billion in needs, expects $5.1 billion in revenue.
- "Poll: Hearts and Darts from the Kaine-Allen Debate" Did your candidate win? Could he have handled himself better?
- "Victim Identified in Fatal McLean Car Crash" Cheri Cusumano lost control of her minivan and hit a tree Tuesday on Lewinsville Road.
- "McLean and Langley Take On Madison and Marshall" The McLean area varsity football teams faced off against the Vienna area teams on Friday night.
- "." How are you going to spend it?
- "Board Creates 40-Member Discipline Committee." Fairfax County School Board will charge group with reviewing policies, handbook.
- "Giant Food Teams Up With Coinstar" The local retailer will now offer gift cards to those who use their Coinstar kiosks.
- "Autumn Equinox in McLean on Saturday" So long, Summer 2012.
- "Save 'Nemo' From the Zombies"
- "New Movie Theater — With Its Own 'Top Chef' — Opens in Fairfax"
- "House Hunt: Multimillion Dollar Open Houses"
- McLean Arrests: Sept. 13 to 19