1. McLean Project for the Arts Artfest
- When/Where: Artfest will start at 10 a.m. Sunday at McLean Central Park and will run throughout the day on Sunday.
- Why Go: Art by regional artists will be featured (and will be for sale) at this annual McLean event. Come by for lunch, stay for the music.
- Pricing: Free to attend. A $5 donation per person is encouraged.
2. Meet the author of "The Widow Spy" at Dolley Madison Community Library
- When/Where: The event starts at 2 p.m. Saturday at Dolley Madison Community Library 1244 Oak Ridge Ave., McLean.
- Why Go: Meet Martha D. Peterson, author of The Widow Spy: My CIA Journey from the Jungles of Laos to Prison in Moscow. Book signing to follow. Please call 703-356-0770 to register.
- Pricing: Free to attend.
- When/Where: The National Zoo animal buildings and exhibits open at 10 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Last admittance is 7 p.m. The zoo is located at 3001 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington.
- Why Go: Mei Xiang just lost her panda cub to liver and lung damage, but zoo officials report on the website, "We are happy to report that Mei is almost completely back to her old self!...The David M. Rubenstein Family Giant Panda Habitat is open, and visitors can see Tian Tian and Mei Xiang outdoors and indoors, though the area directly around Mei’s den is still closed. The panda team expects that the entire David M. Rubenstein Family Giant Panda Habitat will be open soon, as Mei has not shown any sensitivity to noise lately."
- Pricing: Admission to the zoo is free, although you'll have to pay for parking if you drive and they charge for zoo maps.
4. Check out a Haunted House in NoVa
- When/Where: Check out this article and find out about the scariest haunts in Northern Virginia.
- Why Go: It's almost Halloween? Are you in the mood to get a little spooky?
- Pricing: Ticket prices vary at different locations.
5. Pick a Pumpkin
- When/Where: Check out this article to find out where to pick your perfect pumpkin.
- Why Go: Nothing says Halloween like a jack-o-lantern sitting on a front stoop. Go pick a pumpkin for everyone in the family this weekend and have a pumpkin carving contest. Then read up on how to roast the perfect pumpkin seeds.
- Pricing: Pumpkin prices vary.
What are your weekend plans? If you care to share, please do. Maybe we'll see you there.