Former U.S. Secretary of State and McLean resident Colin Powell signs his new book "It Worked for me: In Life and Leadership" at a downtown McLean bookstore this evening.
The book signing will occur at 7 p.m. at Books-A-Million on Chain Bridge Road across the street from the McLean Giant.
Here's what you need to know. Perkins McDowell, one of the managers at Books-A-Million, has this advice for their customers.
1. What do I need to do to see Colin Powell? You need a ticket and a book. Books-A-Million started handing out tickets last week. They will continue to give out tickets and sell books up until 6 pm.
2. Get there early. The book signing starts at 7 pm. McDowell suggested arriving no later than 6:30 pm.To get in line you must have a book and a ticket number. Guests will be lined up according to their numbers.
3. How many tickets have been given out? More than 100 tickets had been given up by Wednesday afternoon.
4. Powell, a retired four-star general and former head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has written a book revealing the lessons that shaped his life and career, according to The New York Times.
The book, “It Worked for Me,” is a collection of lessons and personal anecdotes that have driven Powell's legendary career in public service, the Times reported.
5. Have your book open and ready. Be prepared to spell your name.
Powell is doing this for his McLean neighbors so he will stay until all books are signed.