Update, 11 a.m.
A fire that started in the exhaust vent of a dryer in the main building of Arleigh Burke Pavilion has temporarily displaced 47 residents of the nursing home and retirement community, said Deputy Fire Chief Andrew Duke, one of several emergency responders with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department on scene Thursday morning.
The fire generated significant smoke in the building and extended to the second floor before firefighters extinguished the flames, which were not visible from the outside of the building.
The residents and staff are expected to return inside by 11:30 a.m., Duke said.
No medical or smoke-related illnesses have been reported, he said.
Original Post: Fire, EMS Respond to Nursing Home Fire in McLean
Approximately five fire engines are currently on scene at the Arleigh Burke Pavilion, a nursing home and retirement community in McLean that caught fire Thursday morning.
The emergency 911 call was placed at about 9:45 a.m.
Dan Schmidt, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, said there is smoke inside the walls of the building and emergency responders are trying to located the origin of the fire.
There are no visible flames from the outside of the building.
The majority of residents and staff have been evacuated from the building. Others who are not in danger have intentionally not been moved from the facility, Schmidt said.
The fire seems to be contained, but firefighters are currently looking for extension in the building, Schmidt said.
There is construction on site, but Schmidt said it has not been determined if the construction is related to the fire.
Stay tuned to Patch for more details about this breaking story.