Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Thursday night at approximately 11:40 p.m., in the Great Falls area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located on Seneca Road.
Firefighters found a fire in the first floor den of the two-story cape-cod style home when they arrived. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.
The lone occupant was transported for a non-life threatening injury. A dog was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and released. The occupant was not displaced.
Damage is estimated at $25,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the den/office caused the fire.Electrical Safety Tips from Fairfax County:
- Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
- Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
- If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.
- The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together. An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
- All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
- When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
- Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
- Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
- Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
- Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.