.

Firefighters Respond to Blaze at Great Falls Home Thursday Night

One person was transported from the scene with non life-threatening injuries and a family dog was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and released.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue put out a fire at a Great Falls home late Thursday night. Patch archive photo
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue put out a fire at a Great Falls home late Thursday night. Patch archive photo

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Thursday night at approximately 11:40 p.m., in the Great Falls area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located on Seneca Road.

Firefighters found a fire in the first floor den of the two-story cape-cod style home when they arrived. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire. 

The lone occupant was transported for a non-life threatening injury. A dog was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene and released. The occupant was not displaced.

Damage is estimated at $25,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical anomaly in the den/office caused the fire.

Electrical Safety Tips from Fairfax County:
  • Replace or repair loose or frayed cords on all electrical devices.
  • Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each receptacle outlet at a time.
  • If your power goes out a lot or the lights in your home flicker, smell bad, or make noise, have an electrician come in to inspect your wiring.   
  • The electrical outlet in the bathroom should have a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI).  This is a tool that protects you from dangerous shock when water and electricity come together.  An electrician can install a GFCI for you.
  • All electrical outlets and switches should be covered by “face plates.”
  • When possible, avoid the use of “cube taps” and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single receptacle.
  • Inspect electrical cords to make sure they are in good condition.
  • Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
  • Don’t tie or knot electrical cords.
  • Don’t let furniture sit on electrical cords.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for plugging an appliance into a receptacle outlet.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »