.

Grill Fire on a Deck Causes Damage to a Great Falls Home Thursday

National Fire Prevention Association says grills shouldn’t be used on decks and should be used away from the home.

No one was injured in a fire sparked by a grill on the deck of a Great Falls home Thursday night.

Daniel Schmidt, a spokesman for Fairfax County Fire & Rescue, said firefighters rushed to a home in the 10000 block of Deerfoot Dr. around 6:30 p.m. for a report of a house fire. Several tanker trucks were called in because of a lack of fire hydrants in the area, Schmidt said.

The family was home at the time of the fire.

The fire was quickly put out and contained to the rear of the home only damaging some of the deck and some rear aluminum siding, Schmidt said.

Schmidt said there is no estimate on the damage to the home.

According to the National Fire Prevention Association, grills should be placed well away from homes, deck railings and never be used under eaves and overhanging branches.

Here are some more grilling tips from NFPA:

  •  Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors
  • Keep children and pets away from the grill area
  • Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill
  • Never leave your grill unattended

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something