Residents of Westmoreland Street are finally getting their wish for safety zones to help them safely walk across this wide residential street.
At the request of many citizen groups, including representatives of and its PTO, Dranesville Supervisor John Foust has worked with representatives of VDOT, the County’s Department of Transportation and the Police Department to find ways to improve pedestrian safety along Westmoreland Street.
The Fairfax Department of Transportation conducted a review of every intersection along Westmoreland and proposed the addition of pedestrian crossing medians at several of the key cross-walks, Foust announced in his recent newsletter.
Construction began earlier this month. The intersections and their modifications are:
- Westmoreland Street and Bonheim Court: Install raised pedestrian refuge median on Westmoreland in the middle of the existing crosswalk. Revamp crosswalk with new signs and striping. Install two ADA curb cuts. Restrict some on-street parking.
- Westmoreland Street and Lemon Road: Move crosswalk to improve site distance. Install curb ramps, new striping and new sign-age.
- Westmoreland Street and Southridge Drive: Install raised pedestrian refuge median on Westmoreland in the middle of the existing crosswalk. Revamp crosswalk with new signs and striping. Install two ADA curb cuts.
- Westmoreland Street entrance to McLean High School: Brighter crosswalk markings spanning entrance.
Other projects underway to improve safety along Westmoreland Street include:
- Westmoreland Street and Old Chesterbrook Road: Realign intersection to slow turns by making northeast corner a right angle, revamp crosswalks.
- Install two pedestrian activated Rapid Flash Beacons on either side of the Westmoreland crosswalk to McLean High School.
- Fairfax County Public Schools will install two “wink-o-matics” on Westmoreland Street, approximately 600 feet on either side of the Westmoreland entrance to McLean High School, lowering speed limits during school arrival and departure times.
- Extend box culvert north of McLean High School at location of roadside ditch, install new sidewalk along east side of Westmoreland halfway to Dillon Street. Revamp crosswalks. Revamp existing crosswalks to have bold striping and ADA curb cuts across Westmoreland to the McLean High School entrance.
- Westmoreland Street and Haycock Road: Add right turn lane and pedestrian improvements to south bound Westmoreland Street.